What is Poikiloderma of Civatte / Neck Pigmentation?
Poikiloderma of Civatte is a red-brown discolouration of the sides of the neck and décolletage.
The condition most often affects fair, skinned, middle-aged females and is correlated with long-term sun damage, as well as hormonal influences.
Long term unprotected sun exposure damages the superficial blood vessels, creating telangiectasia (broken capillaries) and a couperose complexion with frequent flushing. The hyper pigmentation (brown discolouration) is a result of increased melanin deposition in the skin as a consequence of UV-induced trauma.
However, similar to Melasma, the pigmentation may also be correlated with hormonal fluctuations. The condition may also present with skin laxity, due to the depletion of collagen, or in severely sun damaged skins, elastosis.
This creates a thickened and wrinkled appearance of the skin as a result of abnormal elastin deposition.
Your medical practitioner will devise an individual medical skin care prescription tailored to your skin condition and treatment goals.
We must be actively protecting and caring for the skin on a daily basis if we are going to effectively support the skin condition, maintain clinical treatment results as well as prevent future damage.
- Topical Anti-oxidants: important for minimising cellular damage and slowing the progression of photo-ageing.
- Sun Protection: zinc based sun protection is important to provide adequate blockage from UVB and UVA rays. Zinc provides a physical barrier to UV rays offering long-term protection, and free from chemicals otherwise used in generic sunscreens.
- Skin Lightening Agents: important for improving skin clarity, effectively minimising the appearance of pigmentation as well as preventing future damage.
- Skin Cell Resurfacing Agents: important for effectively replacing damaged skin cells with newly structured, healthy cells, improving skin clarity, texture and luminosity.
- Collagen Stimulants: help fight premature ageing by promoting skin’s firmness and elasticity, improving fine lines and wrinkles, enlarged pores and skin laxity.